08 May 2006

Clapotis

One of the first patterns I ever fell in love with was the clapotis. Now that I've finished one, I have to say that I am quite pleased. I would love to knit another at some point for myself (probably a full-sized one), but this one has gone off to my mother for Mother's Day. Purple never was my color anyway.

For reference, I used Lily's Sugar'n Cream, color #02027---a nice, cheerful colorway for spring. I think I used somewhere around 3 balls (I know I definitely have two others lyring around, at any rate---time for some dishcloths). This pattern was really fun to work with, and easy to memorize. I definitely recommend purling the stitch that is supposed to be marked off by place markersl; it makes everything much simpler. As you can see, I used the modified clapotis pattern for the width, although I added several repeats for the sake of length.



This shot was taken pre-blocking. Now, I've blocked before, but never with anything that showed a whole lot of change---one garter stitch scarf, and a double-knit hat which I will show off at some later point in time.



Here is the clapotis while blocking (which it did quite nicely, despite the lack of pins). Stretched out on my deck like this, the zig-zag of the yellow really became apparent, and in my opinion looks quite lovely.



And here it is posing post-blocking. It still wants to curl in slightly, but overall
it's rather happy to stay in place.



Emma decided to come over to see just what I was up to. As someone relatively new to both rabbit roommates and knitting, I have made an interesting discovery. As many will know, bunny teeth are cutting machines. Combine this with some apparently irresistably tasty cotton yarn, and voila!---instant scissors. Thankfully, this discovery was made with unwoven, dangling ends, and not the knitted fabric itself. It does mean, however, that I have to guard my yarn just as closely as if I had a cat. Who knew?

In any case, my mother received this a few weeks early, and seemed to like it just fine. I don't think I've ever seen her wear a scarf in her life, though, so it remains to be seen whether or not it will get any use.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that color way - it is so springlike - reminds me of Easter outfits when I was a little girl. What is the yarn?

21 August, 2006 00:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so lovely! :)

21 August, 2006 08:53  
Blogger Jackie said...

The yarn is 100% cotton, Lily's Sugar n'Cream, in the Spring Swirl colorway (#02027).

21 August, 2006 09:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home