13 June 2006

Getting to Know You

I've been working on Cozy on and off since April, and I'm finally nearing the half-way point, at least in terms of yarn. I'll probably start ball 5 sometime this weekend. It's been quite the learning experience (lifelines have been my savior many, many times), since this is my first lace project. As you can see, it's getting quite long.



I really can't wait to see what it's like once I block it.

It's the little things that have been driving me nuts, though. Whenever I've made a mistake, I've had to unravel at least two rows. Since each repeat (maybe a little over an inch tall, unblocked) is taking me about an hour---yes, I'm a slow knitter---it's been frustrating, and many hours have been lost.

Now that I'm getting a better feel for what the different stitches do and how they act in relation to each other, I've been taking a closer look at my mistakes. When I noticed the other day that after a 'sl1 k2tog psso' sequence I had forgotten to pass the slipped stitch over, I got bold. I had already done the purl row over it and was working on the next right-side row, but instead of unraveling the whole thing, I decided to drop the two stitches in question, pass the slipped stitch over, and then redo the top row (knits, not purls, working from the front). I definitely need to get a few more crochet hooks, because they are lifesavers. Every time I've made that mistake since, I've been able to fix it in about 30 seconds. It's a beautiful thing.

Here's a detail of the lace pattern.



Now all I have to do is figure out how easy it is (or isn't) to fix a missed yarn over, my other common (albeit, much less so) mistake. Or, perhaps I should just stop knitting when I'm watching TV---but let's not get too hopeful. At least I'm finally starting to dread working on this less.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home